Introduction to Door Hardware
As a leading eCommerce & Shopping - Furniture website, Flare Furnishings understands the importance of providing you with detailed information about door hardware. Our comprehensive glossary of door hardware terminology will enhance your knowledge and help you make informed decisions when it comes to selecting the perfect products for your needs.
1. Knobs and Handles
Door knobs and handles are essential components of any door, allowing for easy access and operation. Knobs are typically round in shape, while handles come in various styles such as lever handles or pull handles. Both knobs and handles can be made from materials like brass, stainless steel, or even glass, adding aesthetic appeal to your doors.
1.1 Types of Knobs and Handles
There are several types of knobs and handles available:
- Passage Knobs and Handles: These are non-locking and are commonly used for interior doors.
- Privacy Knobs and Handles: These provide privacy by featuring a lock and are often used for bedrooms and bathrooms.
- Entry Knobs and Handles: These are designed for exterior doors and provide both security and functionality. They often include a deadbolt for enhanced protection.
2. Locks and Latches
Locks and latches are crucial door hardware components that ensure security and control access to your space.
2.1 Types of Locks and Latches
Here are some common types of locks and latches:
- Deadbolts: Deadbolts are sturdy locks that provide additional security and are commonly used for exterior doors.
- Mortise Locks: Mortise locks are popular for both residential and commercial applications. They require a pocket or cavity to be cut into the door to install the lock assembly.
- Cylinder Locks: Cylinder locks consist of a cylinder mechanism that functions with a key. They are widely used in residential and commercial applications.
Hinges are essential hardware for proper door installation and swing motion. They are responsible for connecting the door to the frame and allowing it to open and close smoothly.
3.1 Types of Hinges
Various types of hinges have different functions:
- Butt Hinges: Butt hinges are the most common type of hinge used for doors. They consist of two leaves connected by a pin and are available in various sizes and finishes.
- Pivot Hinges: Pivot hinges provide a unique design element, allowing the door to rotate on a central pivot instead of relying on side hinges.
- Concealed Hinges: Concealed hinges are invisible when the door is closed, providing a sleek and modern appearance. They are commonly used on cabinet doors.
4. Strikes and Plates
Strikes and plates play a vital role in ensuring proper alignment and stability between the door and the frame.
4.1 Types of Strikes and Plates
Common types of strikes and plates include:
- Door Strikes: Door strikes are metal plates installed on the door frame, which the latch or deadbolt engages with when the door is closed.
- Strike Plates: Strike plates are metal plates attached to the door jamb, aligning with the door strike or latch to provide additional security.
- Push Plates: Push plates are decorative plates installed on the door to protect it from wear and tear caused by pushing.
5. Additional Door Hardware
Aside from the essential door hardware components mentioned above, there are additional options that can enhance both the functionality and appearance of your doors.
5.1 Additional Door Hardware Options
Consider the following additional door hardware options:
- Door Closers: Door closers ensure that the door closes automatically after opening, improving security and energy efficiency.
- Knockers and Viewers: Decorative door knockers and peepholes can add charm and functionality to your entry doors.
- Escutcheons: Escutcheons are decorative plates installed around keyholes or cylinder locks, enhancing the overall aesthetics.
With this comprehensive glossary of door hardware terminology, Flare Furnishings aims to empower you with knowledge, enabling you to make informed decisions when it comes to selecting the perfect door hardware for your needs. Whether it's choosing the right knobs, locks, hinges, or additional hardware options, we are committed to providing a wide range of high-quality products to cater to your preferences and style. Explore our website, browse our selection, and turn your doors into an expression of elegance and functionality.